What's up!

Things have been very busy, but I'm hard at work, taking two classes weekly.  Monday morning is "plein air" with Deb Dawson....an awesome painter and great friend.  Tuesday is the weekly class at Donna's.....I leave Wednesday for a day visit with my granddaughter Brittney.....with her wonderful husband and fantastic kids, Haddie Girl 3 1/2 and Judah 2 1/2.....plus Levi due November 1st....then off to Columbia for a two day workshop.....painting with my friends!

I have been doing a lot of research on the "Chiaroscuro"  ( skyur-o-skur) style of painting.  Merriam Webster 1:  pictorial representation in terms of light and shade without regard of color 2: the arrangement or treatment of light and dark parts in a pictorial work of art.

David A. Leffel is the master of chiaroscuro, I've had the privilege of seeing him demo a couple of times at the Longboat Key Art Center in Florida.  His book An Artist Teaches:  Reflections on the Art of Painting; he was so kind to sign it for me.  What a gentle soul!  Very personable and down to earth.  About 10 years ago I was in a gallery in Arizona and happened upon a few of his paintings......at that time I didn't know anything about the artist, but it was truly the WOW factor.  I've never forgotten my feeling of aw!  It was about the traveling of light across the objects in the painting.  At this time I was still painting watercolors, but every time I would think of those paintings I would get that same feeling of Aw!  A couple of my friends have study with him and I'm on the list for this year, I can't tell you the excitement I feel at having this opportunity. 


David's doing the demo, Self Portrait.

On display in the the Art Center Gallery.
Another WOW

Don't forget to sign up for this months newsletter, it's all about
Chiaroscuro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home

Cherries Squared - Day 11